pinoycorner
In order to participate on the forums, you'll need to login or register, if you have not yet created an account.
pinoycorner
In order to participate on the forums, you'll need to login or register, if you have not yet created an account.
pinoycorner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinoy Community, Tambayan, PC, Jobs, Friends, Barkadahan.

HomeHOmeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» The Scene: Jackman turns into Wolverine
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:38 pm by IbArrA

» Pacquiao takes out 'Hitman' Hatton in the second round
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:23 am by IbArrA

» Pentagon looks to Facebook, Twitter
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptySat May 02, 2009 5:57 pm by merchant

» Palace: Govt has enough funds to deal with H1N1 virus
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyFri May 01, 2009 11:00 am by IbArrA

» Govt job-generation programs inadequate - IBON
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:57 am by IbArrA

» Free Audio Converter 2009
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 6:30 pm by IbArrA

» AD-Aware 2007
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 pm by IbArrA

» Glow in the dark items..
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm by merchant

» The Piggy Bank
Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 pm by merchant

Affiliates
free forum
Proudly Pinoy!

topic body

Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment

View previous topic View next topic Go down
merchant

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment Vide
PostSubject: Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 5:53 pm

Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment 0710

03/05/2009 | 08:50 AM

MIAMI – Shaquille O'Neal flopped against Orlando center Dwight Howard. Now he's standing up to Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.

Responding to Van Gundy's reaction about O'Neal's tactics against Howard on Tuesday night, the Phoenix center lashed out at his former coach with the Miami Heat, calling him "a master of panic," a "nobody" and "a frontrunner."

"One thing I really despise is a frontrunner," O'Neal said before the Suns played the Heat, Shaq's first time back in Miami since last season's trade. "I know for a fact he's a master of panic and when it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic. I've been there before. I've played for him."

O'Neal was guarding Howard with about 4 minutes left in the third quarter Tuesday night. Howard made a spin move, O'Neal fell to the court in an effort to get an offensive foul called, and the Magic center easily dunked with two hands.

Afterward, Van Gundy said he was "shocked, seriously. I was shocked and very disappointed because he knows what it's like. You know, let's stand up and play like men, and I think our guy did that."

O'Neal, who typically does not talk before Suns games, didn't hold back when asked for his reaction. He played for Van Gundy in Miami for parts of two seasons and openly complained about coaching decisions in the 2005 Eastern Conference finals, when the Heat lost Game 7 at home to the Detroit Pistons.

"Flopping is playing like that your whole career," O'Neal said. "I was trying to take a charge, trying to get a call. Yeah, it probably was a flop, but flopping is wrong. Flopping would describe his coaching."

O'Neal and Van Gundy even had words about it on the sideline in Tuesday's game, which the Magic won 111-99. O'Neal had 19 points and 11 rebounds.

And Van Gundy brought the fall up in his postgame news conference, without even being asked.

"Note this," Van Gundy said. "It's not often that I will needle Shaq, because he's a big guy and he played for me and helped me win a lot of games. But he always talks about people flopping. Only one big guy tried to flop tonight. He tried to flop. So ask him about that. I told him something on the sideline. I said, 'C'mon now, all the griping you do about flopping and you're trying to take a flop.'"

O'Neal said he admitted to Van Gundy in that conversation that it was a flop.

But it was the postgame comments that truly seemed to raise Shaq's ire.

"I'm not going to sit around and let nobodies take shots at me," O'Neal said. "He is a nobody to me. If he thinks he can get a little press conference and take shots at me like I'm not take one back, he has another thing coming. ... I tried to take a charge. The rules say when a guy comes into your chest and you fall, it's an offensive foul. That's all I tried to do. I fell. I didn't complain."

The relationship between Van Gundy and O'Neal has seemed to be slippery at best for years.

O'Neal came to Miami for the 2004-05 season, helped the Heat win 59 games that season alongside Dwyane Wade and with Van Gundy on the sideline. But that season ended with the loss to the Pistons, a game where Miami wasted a six-point lead over the final 7 minutes and afterward O'Neal said he didn't get the ball enough.

He also added that night, "I'll take the blame. I always do."

Van Gundy resigned 21 games into the next season, Pat Riley took over once again and the Heat won a championship, O'Neal's fourth title. - AP
Back to top Go down

Shaq reacts strongly to Van Gundy flop comment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
pinoycorner :: World and Local Updates :: World and Local News :: Local News -

Copyright © 2009 pinoycorner. All Rights Reserved. Privacy